Monday, June 27, 2011

On the set of 'Rock of Ages'

So last Friday, I was called to be an extra in the movie 'Rock of Ages', which stars Tom Cruise, Alex Baldwin, Russell Brand and Bryan Cranston just to name a few.

I got there two hours early so I had to wait, but time went fast and they sent me to wardrobe. There I showed them the clothes I brought but they said they already had too many rocker types and need beach dudes. So they gave me a tie-dyed t shirt, bathing trunks and sandals. Next part was to go to get my hair done. I went with it all combed and nice and then what the woman there said to the hair dresser was to make it "beachy".




So that what I looked like for the scene.The picture was taken with an iPhone, from the 80's! I had to shave my goatee off for it though, but its worth it!
I was ready at 5:30 PM and I basically had to wait the whole day because it started to rain and we couldn't to the scene till, wait for it......12 AM!
I was waiting for about 6 hours without doing anything! Well I was talking with the other extras making fun of some people and their wigs because they looked like Andy Warhol with their pasty white skin and all.
I walked around a bit also. This is a club so there is a lot of space, inside and out. There was a shit load of snacks on the counter where all the extras where too!




This was the part of the club where we were waiting at. It was pretty cool. You would pretty much think you were stuck in the 80's for a day.

The day was going slow, so I went out for a walk to see the set from afar, since is was still raining.
As I was going downstairs, I bumped into a tall fellow who looked very much like a wrestler by the name of Kevin Nash. Turns out, it WAS Kevin Nash!
He has a role in this film, which I still don't know yet because he was filming another scene than the one I would be in.

He is probably a security guard or a very tall roadie who always looks pissed off for some reason.



Yep, he always has that face.


Anyway, I didn't want to bother getting a photo with him because I also don't want to get kicked out of the set, and also he looked very pissed, but then again he is probably the happiest guy on the planet. I bumped into him two more times, one when were are going to eat and again when I walked inside to get a drink from the cast and crew only place. I got coconut water. And he still looked angry, eating chicken.


So it's time to do the scene because it stopped raining and its getting very late. We are all sent to the beach bar with the stage. At first I was placed in the back, from what you see on the photo here, I was pretty far from the stage.

But then when they start placing people in specific orders, they placed me right in the front of the stage, in the first row! So basically the put me in front of all those people you see in the photo!

In the scene, Julianne Hough, I think, is singing on stage while the crowd of extras are cheering! She is singing a song, prerecorded of course, but I couldn't find it anywhere! It must be originally made for this movie...



The movie is set to come out in July 1, 2012. hopefully I get so see a glimpsed of myself in the crowd, which I'm hopeful because I'm in the first row.

49 comments:

  1. So how much do you make off of these gigs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, I'm sure we'll all be looking out for you!! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @allentesch: $105/12hrs plus experience, lunch and snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very 80's! and nice sandals! lol. Congrats by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow boy u had rocking time it looks like.
    Enjoy buddy and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really should of capitalized on those snack man.

    I'm also curious how much you get for one of those gigs.

    Great blog, detailed and informative articles. Followed.

    If you get a chance, take a look at my blogs sometime: http://serenityindex.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, good thing you shaved the goatee, or else it wouldn't have worked. Very cool though! Followed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! You look awesome! A bonafide beach bum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, I'll be sure to check the movie out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though there's all that waiting involved it sounds like fun. When do I get a turn?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, that sounds like a solid good time right there! And I have to say that your "beachification" looks pretty convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa man, you look like a man in a little kiid's body ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm jealous you got to see kevin nash, that guy is a beast. nice to hear you got some work and got fed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you had a ton of fun! I'm so jealous right now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kevin Nash! Thats awesome. Did you know he played Super Shredder in Ninja Turtles II?

    also, DUDE, what happened to your buddy thenitefalls?! you two know each other IRL right? His blog vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look angry when I eat chicken too! darn birds ! Kevin Nash agrees with me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear, takes me back to my time on the movies as security and enjoying the madness and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really great stuff, man. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd like to see how you look with a goatee. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a good time. That's an eclectic cast there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow looks nice.
    Seems funny.
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like wreastling, thanks for post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't mean to sound like Miley Cyrus here, but that's pretty cool. I mean, coconut water? Awesome. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw look at how cute you are! I just want to squeeze the hell out of you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll keep an eye out for the goatee-less beach guy when the movie comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. who cares if you had to wait - did you have anything else planned for the day? and how many people can say they did that? fun. me = jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on the spot. And I'm just happy to hear you weren't the stand-in for Kevin Nash's punching bag opponent.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Being an extra in a movie is awesome! I need to look up if anyone is casting for extras in my area, I need some extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That rocks man. Congratulations. I hope I see ya in it when the movie comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  31. that's awesome! don't talk to cruise though if he approaches you. he's very persuasive.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 100 buks every day just for being extra .. nice...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Must be a cool experience, but I HATE it when they make me wait...

    You can visit my NEW blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. In a movie? Wow, even though a small part that must be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  35. sounds good. great cast also

    ReplyDelete
  36. damn thats awesome, to bad i live in mexico

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow great day! Sounds like a good extra gig!

    ReplyDelete
  38. "Yep, he always has that face" hahhaha lol

    ReplyDelete
  39. Grats on the spot dude! Here's to more!

    ReplyDelete

The Best Of Kicking Rocks

The Pile