Sunday, March 6, 2011

Memorization

I don't know about you guys (and girls), but I have to memorize lines from scripts for my acting class. When I first began I thought to myself, "Wow, I can't memorize all these pages!" But it turns out I can and it was rather simply really. All it took was repetition. Just repeat and repeat and eventually it will get stuck in your head. Now this is a great technique and it works wonders in little to no time. That worked well with modern and contemporary plays but now that I am working on Shakespeare, It's not working as fast as I thought it would. The language is quite, a nuisance. It's just that I am not used to speaking in that way and sometimes It just sounds to me as if I were speaking gibberish! I'm sure of that if I continue to repeat, the lines will get memorized. They funny part about this is that sometimes when I wake up, I find myself saying the lines of the script.




I sleep rehearse! 

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, Shakespearean dialect is always a pain.
    My memory is getting worse and worse, so I definitely couldn't remember much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in acting school? That's awesome. Learning to act has been one of my ambitions for a while but I'm a bit shy to join an acting school for real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Studies have shown that going through something you need to memorize while lying down on your bed before you fall asleep can really help you with the memorization. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about training your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the only way to memorize anything is to continually repeat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way I pass test is just repeating the material over and over again. It works but I cant remember a thing a week later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just learn them subliminally by recording them and then playing them while you sleep! And no, it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shakespeare is a pain in the arse to learn but persevere and you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come at thee, wench! Say that and watch your testicles get kicked...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try this:Record yourself saying the lines, then play it back while you sleep! ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the memory of an elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shakespeare is hard to learn but when it's spoken 'fluently' and flows it's awesome...you'll get there

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, I used to read a lot of Charles Dickens, had the same issues when I woke up sometimes

    ReplyDelete

The Best Of Kicking Rocks

The Pile